On March 30, 2011 shortly before the store time to close, at 7.58 PM, I purchased a new phone, its accessories, pre-paid a month of usage and switched my phone line from ATT to MetroPCS.

Soon after I arrived home and tested the phone I realized that I made a mistake. As the store was already closed I had to wait till it would open on the next day. In the morning of March 31, 2011, I went back to the store where I purchased the phone and explained to the same customer service person that sold me the phone that I am a realtor and my phone is my main tool of work. The phone that I purchased did not fit my necessities and I was also having problems with the service, not receiving text messages from Clients and getting my phone calls dropped. She said that the service would soon improve and that I should keep the phone for a while and that I would eventually get used to it.

I asked her to then exchange the phone for a blackberry, which was what I originally had with ATT and was ideal for my business. She refused to exchange the phones and said that she could not take a refund either and showed me her return policy, which was not disclosed to me before or during the purchase. On it says that you may return the phone within 7 days of original activation date and must contain less than 60 minutes of airtime usage on call timer. She said my phone had 60 minutes and 15 seconds of airtime.

Unfortunately I didn't know about their return policy prior to the purchase. If I did, I would have never tried a new phone and service provider for my business knowing that I would be stuck to it. I asked to speak with a manager and she declined to give me his/her name or contact information. I called the 1888 8METRO8 number from the store hoping for a solution. They told me to go to their corporate store. The closest one was 40 minutes away in Lake Worth.

Immediately after speaking with the customer service person I turned off my phone (afraid to add any more seconds of airtime and be denied a refund/return and with that lost several business calls). In fact, I was already missing business calls and texts even before knowing that I could not use the phone.

At the Lake Worth corporate store, after 1 hour in line waiting and without using the phone, the service person told me that they could not help me as I had purchased the phone from another store and that if I had purchased it from them, they would be glad to give me a refund.

I then drove home to look for the owners of record of the store to try to locate them and speak with them. All numbers that I tried were either disconnected or did not work. I found their Corporate history and another store they owned also in Delray. Called the store asking for the manager several times and he never returned my call. I drove to the store, and they said the manager was not there and that they could not help me and that I would not be able to return the phone.

After all the driving around, frustration and lost businesses and working hours, I decided that I could no longer keep the phone off, as I had to answer my business calls. I kept trying to reach the store manager for another day without success and finally gave up. I went back to an Att store and changed my phone line back to them. ATT Service is more than double the price, but works and I deeply regret having tried to switch.

I then put all the Metro PCS merchandise back in its original boxes and priority mailed it to the store, attention to the owner of record, with insurance and signature delivery, along with copies of the receipt and with a note asking them to immediately refund the full amount of the purchase on my debit card used with the original purchase. Days after I received the signature receipt in the mail dated as received on April 04, 2011.

As they accepted the phone back, I hoped to receive my refund. I waited for days for it to post, but realized that even though they accepted the phone in the mail, they never refunded my money nor contacted me to have the issue resolved. They simply took the phone back and kept my money.

On April 08, 2011 I went to my bank and filed a dispute.

However, my bank said that the merchant declined to credit my money back and that I would have to resolve the issue directly with the merchant or file a law suit. To file a law suit it is going to cost me at least another $ 190.00 plus all the time and aggravation.

Please help!

I want my money back!

Why do you have different policies for different stores and for online purchases?

Shouldn't the consumer have some time to try the product and service to make sure it is the right product and service for their needs?

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 77 Yes 77 68 No 68
Had the same issue 55 Yes 55
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 12 #1225840

I had a "Similar" issue. Here's the Deal. You have to get PAST the "Authorized" Dealer & into "Greater Detail" with Metro PCS than an *** Customer Service Rep. (WHO BTW told me that Metro PCS didn't have a Single North Carolina Area Code Number. How about THAT One?). Also, the Dealers Act Like Jerks because they buy the phones from Metro PCS & don't want to take ANY loss, so they lie. Matter of fact, IF I am Not mistaken, the Gov't REQUIRES ALL Cell Phone Companies to Take Back ALL phones, for ANY Reason, within a certain amount of days regardless of minutes on THE PHONE (now refund on Air time is another story, your $30+ part). After Calling & Calling & calling AND Using Logic, Common Sense (made person on phone feel like a fool) & the legal issues, FINALLY I got my issue resolved... through the "Port Department" ,Older Lady in Va. Beach VA, was "Great" At Fixing All the issues for me.

Oct 04 #1222618 Houston, Texas

I feel your pain. My little brother just left an 'authorized dealer' (authorized to sell stuff that CAN NOT BE RETURNED) and utilized their promotion of 'switch your number and get a free smartphone'. So he did. Got the Samsung Galaxy something. Anyways, while still inside store, moments after the cust svc girl hands him the phone, he accidently locks the phone, as she didn't instruct him on how to properly use the 'phone lock' security feature.
So you'd think, being that she hasn't even handed him the receipt for the transaction, she would just replace the handset and educate him on future use. BUT, she hands him his debit card and receipt and says "sorry, we can't deal the phone now that it's been in your possession, you'll have to find one of these little Fix-a-PC shops ,and have them *** the phone. What... you're advising one of your customers to go have an unauthorized person *** into his brand new phone? You just sold it to him 30 seconds ago, didn't say 2 whole sentences during the whole thing, and now its just like "F you, it's your problem now!?"
What the *** kinda business are they running here?
This is the Cedar Park TX location on Bell.
DO NOT GO THERE! in fact, go to Cricket, or Walmart Smart Talk... I'm pretty sure they won't sell you the knife AND stab you in the back with it!

Sep 10 #1210733

Sir, Please file ur complain with BBB ( better business bureau )
and describe your hardship u will get your money back

Aug 24 #1202952

Hi, I just purchased an upgrade metro PCS in ft Smith Arkansas August 19, 2016. I have the z max pro. I started having problems that night! I have called went into the store as the phone has a problem with data, dropped calls, not allowing bcalls either incoming or outgoing. Today is Tuesday August 23,2016. I contacted the help center and was advised the phone is defective and the store is putting me off until the seven days when I will have no other way to exchange the phone unless I pay additional money. Tomorrow I am presenting this information directly at the store. Wish me well.

Mar 29 #1136011

First of all you are an *** for going to the store 2 minutes before closing time. Those people have lives outside of work! They have children to tend to. Some probably have a major test to study for in college. Put some consideration for other human beings you narcissistic troll. And secondly some Metro dealers have their payment systems set to their operating hours. Meaning if you show up 2 minutes before closing time an it takes the dealer 5 minutes to process you, by the time she/he finishes their system will probably be closed. CREATING AN ERROR IN YOUR TRANSACTION. Even if they wanted to help you. Because in order to port your number over they need your pin#and ,account# and if you give them the wrong information thats YOUR FAULT. They don't know your personal information. An if you give the wrong account#, and the next day you want to transfer back to your old account. The Port in process takes at most 24 hours to transfer through. So if you try switching the next day your phone number will be lost in limbo between two companies. I apologize for offending you but, PLEASE....PLEASE... Be considerate of other people and closing times.

0 8 Reply

Jul 22 #1188261 Elmwood Park, New Jersey

You sound mentally Retarded .. You clearly do not know how to READ & understand, that's very sad

4 1 Reply

Aug 20 #1201523

How is your "first" issue a problem with when the customer went into the store??? If the employees want money, they should want increased sales, up to the very last minute (or beyond). That is the American way. If the working hours are not good for them, isn't it the employee's responsibility to locate a job with suitable working hours? Since your first point was so silly, I couldn't ever continue reading.

3 1 Reply

Oct 12 #1225842 Stafford, Virginia

Yeah? People have lives outside of work, BUT it's "Retail" fool. And what about the times you go to a MetroPCS & it's Closed 30-45 Minutes Earlier than the store hours posted on the door? Customer's HAVE Lives TOO... Plus hey, it IS the Customer's Money. If you want to go home EXACTLY at closing, You'd NEVER work in MY Store, not more than 5 minutes, Because Customers Create YOUR income!!!

Mar 21 #1131478

Same thing here. I have had Metro for about 5 years. A couple of years ago they introduced the Windows phone which I really liked. I went in, recently, to get a new windows phone bu Metro no longer carriers it. They told me I would like this new phone which is much larger. After two days, I realized I can't use a phone this large. It is cumbersome and require two hands for many things. I took it back under the 7 day policy for any reason EXCEPT because I'm a loyal customer, I get the usual loyal customer treatment which is the return policy only applies to NEW customers, not regular and reliable customers. FINE - I will dispute the phone as merchandise that does not provide what was promised and switch to ATT. I have learned that Metros model is spend millions trying to gain new customers but treat existing customers crappy and take "who cares" approach if a loyal and reliable customer leave Metro for another provider.

Feb 14 #1111926 San Diego, California

this phone company is not good at all, Do yourself a favor and run out,the service is horrible and if there phone has a defect thats all of a sudden your fault they don't work with you at sure they wont be in business for much longer so careful and don't waste your time....Chula vista California

Feb 12 #1110763

I'm having the same problem, I took mine back the next day , they refused to refund my money saying because I purchased an upgrade there was nothing they could do except help me set up an account on Craigslist. Can you believe that? It's the Cocoa Beach store. Don't go there !

2 1 Reply

Feb 12 #1110771

Same person. It was a Metro pcs store.

Feb 06 #1107555

Omg I just whiched over to them from Sprint and my entire phone went out ..they said they couldn't give me a in store phone I had to file a insurance claim so all I'm thinking is that their on some type of insurance fruad bs ....I f*****g hate that phone company to many Scam's

2 0 Reply

Nov 09, 2015 #1060694

Samething happen to my mother n law she upgraded they talked her into it some how well she kept her old phone thank goodness because she couldn't get the new one to work answer calls or anything and my husband and I took her back to get her service back to her old phone they charged her $15 dollars for that and who knows how much the phone was she wouldn't tell us and said that they couldn't take the new phone well it is locked and they won't unlock it unless you have service with that phone for 90 days so now we are stuck with a phone we can't use and they won't unlock it because the service was a less than a week though it was the same #and account # that is the lamest bunch of *** I have ever herd I have had service with quite a few companies and never herd they couldn't exchange or refund it within 5 to 15 days

3 1 Reply

Nov 08, 2015 #1060320

Oh you best believe this is how they treat people. Caught them in a lie after calling back asking what they notated so be sure you know it is the phone you want or better yet go to another provider that will help fit your needs. I am stuck with a phone right now and the corporate store is not close enough.

Jul 22, 2015 #1010687

It happen to me to....

May 12, 2015 #982999

Metro pcs is an awful company. Atleast where i am,they're all independently owned so they get away with treating customers like ***. Wish i could afford an iphone.

Apr 20, 2015 #974283 Ocala, Florida

Same problem. *** phone and they would not refund the money or exchange the phone. Less then 15 minutes talk time. Ocala fl store. Pine ave. Do not do business with them.

2 0 Reply

Dec 25, 2014 #920933

Im going thru the exact situation except they returned the activation money and gave back the nonactivated phone. Not he money for the phone though. Now 2 days later Christmas eve they are texing the phone threatening us with arbitration when all we wanted was w full refund or exchange for an LG brand sme pric. We also werent allowed to speak with manager. We used less than5 mnutes of phone time thats ll it took for me to realize iit was a piece of junk. I cant believe they can all themselves a company they are unprofessional not to mention unethical and very low life employees .Ill get the word out their way low class compared to Real cellular dealerships they gotta go.

1-20 of 45 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.