On March 30, 2011 shortly before the store time to close, at 7.58 PM, I purchased a new phone, its accessories, pre-paid a month of usage and switched my phone line from ATT to MetroPCS.

Soon after I arrived home and tested the phone I realized that I made a mistake. As the store was already closed I had to wait till it would open on the next day. In the morning of March 31, 2011, I went back to the store where I purchased the phone and explained to the same customer service person that sold me the phone that I am a realtor and my phone is my main tool of work. The phone that I purchased did not fit my necessities and I was also having problems with the service, not receiving text messages from Clients and getting my phone calls dropped. She said that the service would soon improve and that I should keep the phone for a while and that I would eventually get used to it.

I asked her to then exchange the phone for a blackberry, which was what I originally had with ATT and was ideal for my business. She refused to exchange the phones and said that she could not take a refund either and showed me her return policy, which was not disclosed to me before or during the purchase. On it says that you may return the phone within 7 days of original activation date and must contain less than 60 minutes of airtime usage on call timer. She said my phone had 60 minutes and 15 seconds of airtime.

Unfortunately I didn't know about their return policy prior to the purchase. If I did, I would have never tried a new phone and service provider for my business knowing that I would be stuck to it. I asked to speak with a manager and she declined to give me his/her name or contact information. I called the 1888 8METRO8 number from the store hoping for a solution. They told me to go to their corporate store. The closest one was 40 minutes away in Lake Worth.

Immediately after speaking with the customer service person I turned off my phone (afraid to add any more seconds of airtime and be denied a refund/return and with that lost several business calls). In fact, I was already missing business calls and texts even before knowing that I could not use the phone.

At the Lake Worth corporate store, after 1 hour in line waiting and without using the phone, the service person told me that they could not help me as I had purchased the phone from another store and that if I had purchased it from them, they would be glad to give me a refund.

I then drove home to look for the owners of record of the store to try to locate them and speak with them. All numbers that I tried were either disconnected or did not work. I found their Corporate history and another store they owned also in Delray. Called the store asking for the manager several times and he never returned my call. I drove to the store, and they said the manager was not there and that they could not help me and that I would not be able to return the phone.

After all the driving around, frustration and lost businesses and working hours, I decided that I could no longer keep the phone off, as I had to answer my business calls. I kept trying to reach the store manager for another day without success and finally gave up. I went back to an Att store and changed my phone line back to them. ATT Service is more than double the price, but works and I deeply regret having tried to switch.

I then put all the Metro PCS merchandise back in its original boxes and priority mailed it to the store, attention to the owner of record, with insurance and signature delivery, along with copies of the receipt and with a note asking them to immediately refund the full amount of the purchase on my debit card used with the original purchase. Days after I received the signature receipt in the mail dated as received on April 04, 2011.

As they accepted the phone back, I hoped to receive my refund. I waited for days for it to post, but realized that even though they accepted the phone in the mail, they never refunded my money nor contacted me to have the issue resolved. They simply took the phone back and kept my money.

On April 08, 2011 I went to my bank and filed a dispute.

However, my bank said that the merchant declined to credit my money back and that I would have to resolve the issue directly with the merchant or file a law suit. To file a law suit it is going to cost me at least another $ 190.00 plus all the time and aggravation.

Please help!

I want my money back!

Why do you have different policies for different stores and for online purchases?

Shouldn't the consumer have some time to try the product and service to make sure it is the right product and service for their needs?

More Review Details

Helpful? 73 Yes 73 68 No 68
Had the same issue 52 Yes 52
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 09 #1060694

Samething happen to my mother n law she upgraded they talked her into it some how well she kept her old phone thank goodness because she couldn't get the new one to work answer calls or anything and my husband and I took her back to get her service back to her old phone they charged her $15 dollars for that and who knows how much the phone was she wouldn't tell us and said that they couldn't take the new phone well it is locked and they won't unlock it unless you have service with that phone for 90 days so now we are stuck with a phone we can't use and they won't unlock it because the service was a less than a week though it was the same #and account # that is the lamest bunch of *** I have ever herd I have had service with quite a few companies and never herd they couldn't exchange or refund it within 5 to 15 days

Nov 08 #1060320

Oh you best believe this is how they treat people. Caught them in a lie after calling back asking what they notated so be sure you know it is the phone you want or better yet go to another provider that will help fit your needs. I am stuck with a phone right now and the corporate store is not close enough.

Jul 22 #1010687

It happen to me to....

May 12 #982999

Metro pcs is an awful company. Atleast where i am,they're all independently owned so they get away with treating customers like ***. Wish i could afford an iphone.

Apr 20 #974283 Ocala, Florida

Same problem. *** phone and they would not refund the money or exchange the phone. Less then 15 minutes talk time. Ocala fl store. Pine ave. Do not do business with them.

Dec 25, 2014 #920933

Im going thru the exact situation except they returned the activation money and gave back the nonactivated phone. Not he money for the phone though. Now 2 days later Christmas eve they are texing the phone threatening us with arbitration when all we wanted was w full refund or exchange for an LG brand sme pric. We also werent allowed to speak with manager. We used less than5 mnutes of phone time thats ll it took for me to realize iit was a piece of junk. I cant believe they can all themselves a company they are unprofessional not to mention unethical and very low life employees .Ill get the word out their way low class compared to Real cellular dealerships they gotta go.

Dec 13, 2014 #915118

In October , Bought 4 phones on a Friday, went out of town used one phone.
No service, couldn't receive nor make calls and text. So when I returned
I took all four phones back. Was told I would have my refund in 1 week.
After 2 weeks of no returned phone calls, finally the store called me and said I wouldn't be getting a refund because A box was dirty. I returned them within 7 days and had 15 minutes of usage on it. Everything still in packages. I called main number was told I would have refund in 4-6 weeks. Waited called again. and I'm on my third month waiting.
Called today there's no record. And they still have the phones.

Oct 31, 2014 #893709 Coral Springs, Florida

I just had similar issue. But his time we need to take this to social media. Let's facebook this, tweet this and file a petition on until metro PCS changes this crazy policy./ I bought my phone yesterday, today I want a better phone, then they say I can not return the phon eeven for a better more expansive phone.... I am pissed-off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 0 Reply

Sep 04, 2014 #865875

It is a common practice of MetroPCS they sell you stuff but don't take it back even if you return it in its sealed package.

pissed off customer

Aug 09, 2014 #854027

This is very sad I have had a similar issue I purchased a phone because my phone was stolen, I had insurance (which now I know means absolutely nothing at all )just another way to give up some money ...
I found my phone that day I returned the next day to return the phone I just purchased and explained to them that I was under 60mins. Of talk know what those rip off artists told me ,"because I kept my orignal number you cant get a full refund"
They took 50$from me gave me 30. I dont know what kind of business that is called that metro is running but any business that changes they're policies frequently or differ from other locations is bad for business.....-death to the franchise business-

Jul 12, 2014 #839830

I hate metro pcs I bought a phone two days ago and my service doesn't work and they said i couldn't get a refund... I don't know but that *** needs to change for real

Jun 24, 2014 #831669

Just bought a phone from them 7 days ago.. screen stopped responding today. I'll try to return it in the morning and come back with the results.

Jun 25, 2014 #831938

Here are the results from my attempt to return the defective phone.
The store I bought it at refused to accept it back even though the week hadn't passed.(farmington hills) They sent me to the corporate store(livonia) who said my phone was damaged and the warranty was void. I argued that the phone was defective and the manager on duty turned and walked away. The employee helping me suggested a place to have the screen fixed cheaply but the repair is more than I paid for the phone. It was an LG Optimus L70 4.5" screen phone, very thin.. so thin that it likely caused my screen problem from stress on the screen. So the money was lost and the lesson learned.. don't buy a phone from metro pcs.

1 0 Reply

Jun 18, 2014 #828989 Miami, Florida

I had a similar issue.

May 28, 2014 #821174

wahhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhh cry me a freakin river just change companies and stop complaining wahhhhhhhhhhh :,(

1 8 Reply

Mar 12 #957238

seems like youre a pretty smart man, with your deductive reasoning and all... you a66. have a fing seat. I hate people like you. y'know why? because your mother should've kept the afterbirth instead. you wanna troll people on the net, go find another bridge. and while youre there... jump the f off. these people have legitimate issues. grow a dk instead of being a hermaphrodite (both a dk and a psy) Hulk f--king SMASH!!!

3 0 Reply

May 28, 2014 #821162

Ooooookay ppl listen up I have been a metro customer for like forever 13 going on 30 hellllllllo the policy has always been the same never change and any one who works at a retail store would know if your policy is in black and white you have to abide by it I mean wtf do ppl not read any more give metro a break all of you who said you it wasn't disclosed to u at the end of sale bull sh@# u know it was you ppl were probably not paying attention I mean who the *** buys something w/o asking questions on the return policy are u serious I for one love metro never had one problem so may b the problem is you and not metro

4 3 Reply

Aug 09, 2014 #854030

The policy also has to be brought to your attention even if not whats good for business is the store bringing to your attention what your about to get into I bet you would be pissed too if they did u dirty u either work there or *** the staff shut the *** up ***

4 1 Reply

Mar 18, 2014 #796146

244a41e, My mother had pretty much the exact problem as you did. She purchased a phone in NY, at an authorized MetroPCS dealer in Baldwin, NY and could not use it because it was dropping all her calls and heating up. She brought back the phone within the seven days stipulated on the receipt and told she was upgrading and could not return the product. This was also not disclosed to her at the time of purchase, so she had no idea that this was a part of their return policy. I called the 1888 8METRO8 number and was told she needs to go to the corporate store in Westbury, NY, where they had more options to help her. That store was about 35 minutes away and she didn't have time to go there at that time. Everyone out there, DO NOT use MetroPCS. Should you need to rectify an issue, they will be of no help to you. Stay clear of them like the plague.

1-20 of 32 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.